University isn’t all research papers and study groups; it’s a time to explore, have fun and get out of your comfort zone. This is especially true for international students studying abroad at Manhattanville College, just 20 minutes by train from legendary New York City. While there’s no shortage of fun things to do in “the city that never sleeps,” is it possible to entertain yourself in NYC on a student’s budget? You bet! We’ll show you how.
Check out these fun and free things to do in New York City.
- Visit Central Park – You’ve seen it in movies and TV shows and now you can step foot in the park yourself. More than a sprawling, green nature escape in the heart of the city, Central Park hosts free events and shows, not to mention good old-fashioned people watching.
- Browse Chelsea galleries – The Chelsea neighborhood is known for its galleries, but you may not have known that they’re all free! Get your culture fix in this trendy area without spending a cent.
- Take the ferry to Governor’s Island – This 172-acre island is just a free ferry ride away from Lower Manhattan. Ride bikes, play mini-golf or have a picnic on this scenic island escape.
- Walk the “High Line” – Get 30 feet above the city when you walk the elevated garden paths of this unique and free urban park. Once a stretch of railroad line, the track is now a beautifully designed public space that runs from the Meatpacking District to Chelsea.
- Spend an afternoon in the New York Public Library – The over 100 year-old Stephen A. Schwarzman Building is the stately and historic flagship building of the New York Library system. Built in the Beaux-Arts architectural style (think ornate and Parisian), the space is nothing short of majestic.
- Kayak from the Downtown Boathouse – A non-profit organization dedicated to “Promoting public access to the water for all” the Boathouse offers free access to the harbor of New York during warm months. This is the perfect free activity for outdoor lovers.
- Take a brewery tour – Many breweries, such as the Brooklyn Brewery, offer free tours on weekend. You can enjoy beer samples, and some breweries even allow you to bring in outside food!
- Stroll The Museum of Modern Art – Shouldn’t amazing art be accessible to everyone? Well it is on Friday nights, when the MoMA offers free admission from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Ride the Staten Island Ferry – This ferry is meant to be purely functional, used to transport commuters from Staten Island to Manhattan and back. Yet, the 25-minute ride is also the perfect way to get a free boat ride across New York Harbor, complete with breathtaking city views, for free.
- Visit the Bronx Zoo – You’ll pay admission every day here except Wednesdays, when admission is “pay what you wish.” Visit the African Plains, the Aquatic Bird House, the Himalayan Highlands, the Butterfly Garden and more, all without leaving NYC.
Make the most of your time in the U.S. while studying abroad with Bridge in New York. You’ll be a short train ride away from one of the greatest cities on earth, where it’s possible to spend the day at museums, parks, zoos and more without spending a dime!