Visiting a foreign country is an exciting adventure in and of itself, but when you find yourself in a foreign country during a national holiday, a plethora of additional opportunities open up to you, paving the way for both cultural learning and all out merriment. Every year on July 4th, Americans celebrate their independence in a spectacular display of festivals, fireworks, and nationwide revelry. No matter what your age or where you are from, there will be something for everyone to enjoy on this festive day.
- Fireworks. What says 4th of July like a fireworks show? Setting off fireworks has long been one of the most popular traditions on Independence Day. However, due to the state of Colorado’s pesky habit of catching on fire, fireworks displays should be always left to the professionals (and in times of great danger, may even be canceled altogether). Never fear, in good weather there are many venues where you can take in breathtaking, large-scale fireworks displays all through the week!
- Start the holiday off right! On July 3rd, Civic Center Park will host a fireworks display accompanied by a live symphony! This event is extremely popular and as a result can become quite crowded. It is advised that you arrive no later than 8:00pm to find a great spot!
- What’s more American than a game of baseball on the 4th of July? Coors Field will provide a fireworks display immediately following the Rockies vs. Dodgers game, making it the place to be for the perfect American Independence Day. They will even let you walk onto the famous field itself!
- Can’t make it downtown this year? For the more creative types, there are many spots in Denver where you can view fireworks in a more unique and intimate setting (think high bars with windows and top floors of parking garages). Check your local listings for a fireworks show near you!
- Festivals and Events. Although fireworks provide a grand finale to the USA’s most famous holiday, there are many activities and festivals that occur all over the state day or night.
- Olde Town Arvada Spirit of America 4th of July Festival. One of Colorado’s most popular 4th of July Festivals! With thousands of attendees yearly, this festival celebrates America with free events sure to delight adults and children alike. With food, drinks, rides, games, car shows, and even face painting, you are sure to be immersed in a unique cultural experience that you won’t soon forget! http://www.hallucinationsports.com/page/show/205378-liberty-run-4-mile
- Liberty 4-Mile Run in Washington Park. A perfect event for those not content to just sit and watch fireworks, the Liberty Run offers a chance to show off both your athletic prowess and your best patriotic flair. Prizes will be given for the best red-white-and blue costume! Registration for adults is $35. http://www.hallucinationsports.com/page/show/205378-liberty-run-4-mile
- Concerts at Red Rocks. Head down to the famous Red Rocks amphitheater for a night of music and celebration that you won’t soon forget! Set in one of Colorado’s most breathtaking venues, a concert at Red Rocks is a definitive holiday experience that no tourist should miss. This 4th of July, join the band Blue’s Traveler for a night of authentic American music and a party you are sure to remember. Tickets can be purchased online. www.redrocksonline.com
No matter how you choose to celebrate this 4th of July, please have fun, stay safe, and remember that this holiday is all about freedom and celebration, so have a blast!