Studying English abroad is one of the most important decisions you will make in your lifetime, and choosing to study in Denver, Colorado is likely to be the best decision you ever make! Denver, located at the foot of the breathtaking Rocky Mountains, is an amazing American city full of all the cultural opportunities available in other major cities. However, with more than 300 days of sunshine annually, the safety of a small town, and all the outdoor activities imaginable, Denver has become one of the most popular cities in the country. Learning English is just one of the many amazing experiences you will have when you choose to study at BridgeEnglish in Denver! Here are some reasons why you can’t miss the opportunity to study in Denver, Colorado.
1) Transportation: Getting around Denver is a breeze with the modern and efficient public transportation system. Denver’s RTD system (Regional Transportation District) includes various bus routes to all points in the city, a light rail train system with access to downtown and surrounding areas, and bus routes to points of interest outside the city. A newly created community bike-sharing network allows you to pick up a bike, for a small fee, at one point in the city and drop it off at another bike station closer to your destination. Biking is the preferred form of transportation for many in Denver, and it is an extremely safe city for bicyclists as there are plenty of scenic bike paths and bike lanes on many streets. Renting a car for a weekend excursion on your own is another way to visit the mountains or other regional attractions at your own pace. Whatever method you choose, travel both inside and outside of Denver is affordable, efficient, and reliable.
2) Blue skies: Whether you choose to study in the winter, spring, summer, or fall, you will be amazed by the comfort of the mountain sunshine. The average high temperature in January is 48 degrees F, while the average high in July is 88 degrees F. It is a rare occurrence to pass the day without sunshine and bright blue skies! With beautiful, comfortable weather throughout the year, the list of outdoor activities is endless.
3) Outdoor activities: Summer offers the chance to visit one of Denver’s many city parks and play a game or just sit and enjoy the fresh Colorado air. You can see one of the many outdoor concerts or festivals or enjoy a drink at an outdoor café. While hiking in the nearby mountains, you will experience the natural beauty that makes Colorado the envy of the rest of the country. Mountain lakes, rivers, streams, and natural springs attract not only human visitors but also wildlife ranging from butterflies and birds to bears and moose. The world-famous Rocky Mountain National Park, a natural wonder not to be missed, is just a short drive from downtown Denver. Other popular summer activities include fishing, camping, mountain biking, horseback riding, as well as hang gliding, sky-diving, and hot-air balloon rides for the more adventurous visitor!
4) Snow: If winter is your preferred season, then you have come to the right place! Colorado’s ski resorts are known around the world as the premiere place to enjoy your favorite winter activity. Visitors can find hundreds of miles of snowshoeing or snowmobiling trails, and, of course, dozens of resorts for skiers and snowboarders of all ability levels.
5) Sports : Some students prefer to watch others perform, and Denver has everything for the sporting enthusiast. Denver’s professional sports include baseball, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, and American football. Denver’s soccer team, the Rapids, won the Major League Soccer Cup last year and have become the team to beat in the MLS. The Broncos, American football, are one of the most beloved teams in the country, and both the basketball and hockey teams are regular contenders for the championship. All of the Denver sports facilities are modern, eye-catching venues where you are sure to enjoy yourself no matter how the home team performs! So, if professional sports are your passion, Denver is yet again the place to be!
6) Culture : If cultural activities interest you more, you are not alone in Denver. The city offers some of the best museums and art galleries in the country. The Denver Center for the Performing Arts includes dance, musicals, theatre, and more. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, located adjacent to the Denver Zoo, appeals to the more scientifically-minded individual. Visitors can get an up-close view of the natural history of Colorado’s ancient mountains and other landscapes. The museum also has a state-of-the-art IMAX theatre where you can relax and see award-winning films about various topics related to the natural world. Additionally, the Denver Art Museum contains monthly exhibits of art from around world. Visit during the monthly wine tasting and peruse the galleries in style!
7) Music: Denver is also a destination for musicians from all genres. Red Rocks Amphitheatre is a must on the list of places to visit in Colorado. Many famous bands, such as U2, have used the natural amphitheater to make music videos and film live concerts for DVD. If you prefer to listen to music indoors, there are dozens of auditoriums, concert halls, arenas, and pubs to catch the latest in live music.
Now you know why choosing to study in Denver is an opportunity that you can not afford to miss. The friendly and approachable people will make you comfortable as you work to use the language you have learned in the classroom. When you are not in the classroom, you will have an unlimited amount of ways to spend your free time. In addition to the outdoor activities, sports, and cultural events, Denver offers all the shopping, dining, and leisure activities of a major city. So, come see why Denver, Colorado is consistently rated by business and travel publications as one of the top places in the country to live or study. See you soon!